v1.0.5 - last updated October 8, 2012
This script adds a notoriety system very similar to Assassin's Creed.
- If the cops see your face during a chase, there's a % chance they'll identify you for the crime.
- If you escape after being identified, the crime is added to your arrest warrant.
- Your warrant is given a notoriety rating based on how serious your crimes were (1 star, 2 stars, etc.)
- Press 0 on the numpad to show your current notoriety rating.
- Your notoriety, behavior, and traffic crimes will alert police (see "Tips" below for more details).
- Alert levels are shown as indicators over their heads.*
- A green indicator means the cop is watching you. Yellow and red mean he's suspicious, and he'll investigate.*
- If an investigating cop gets close, he'll stop you and ask for ID. Niko is an illegal immigrant, so you'll get 1 star.
- With high notoriety (3+ stars) if a nearby cop becomes fully alerted, he'll recognize you.
- If a fully alerted cop sees you bump someone or commit a serious traffic crime, he'll give you 1 star.*
- If you hold a gun/explosive near a cop, there's a % chance he'll spot your weapon and give you 1 star.*
- If you get arrested (or die during a chase), your arrest warrant will be cleared.
- Cops will be alerted more easily for a while after you escape a chase, if you were identified.
- If a cop becomes fully alerted during this time, the previous chase will resume.
- High Alert lasts 1 minute for every star on your warrant.
- Your vehicle can have its own wanted level, if it's identified during a chase.
- Outside of chases, investigating cops might ID your wanted vehicle.
- If your vehicle's wanted level is 3+ stars, it will alert cops on sight.
- Stolen vehicles are often reported.*
- Go to a Pay 'n' Spray to clear the vehicle's wanted level.
- Press 5 on the numpad to arrange a bribe meeting.
- At the meeting:
. . . . Press 4 and 6 to cycle through crime levels (1 star, 2 stars, etc.).
. . . . Press 8 and 2 to add and remove crimes from the bribe.
. . . . Press 5 to pay the bribe.
. . . . Press Delete to reset the current bribe.
. . . . The notoriety value and bribe cost are displayed for each crime level.
* Can be disabled in the INI.
This is a script for HazardX's .NET scripthook. Just extract the files into the 'scripts' folder of the .NET scripthook.
Note: Make sure you have the latest scripthook version, v22.214.171.124.
- Many settings can be tweaked in the INI.
- Hold PageDown and press 5 on the numpad to disable/enable the mod. This won't clear your warrant or your wanted vehicles.
- The chance of your face being identified depends on:
. . . . your wanted level
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle, and the vehicle's speed
. . . . whether the cop is downed (but not dead)
. . . . how long the cop has continuously seen your face
- The chance of your vehicle being identified depends on:
. . . . your wanted level
. . . . your vehicle's speed and wanted level
. . . . whether High Alert is active
. . . . how long the cop has seen your vehicle
- The chance of your gun being spotted depends on:
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle
. . . . whether the cop is currently interrogating you
. . . . the cop's alert level
. . . . the size of the weapon
- All the above chances also depend on:
. . . . your distance and notoriety
. . . . whether it's nighttime and/or raining
. . . . whether the cop is in a vehicle, and his vehicle's speed
- How fast cops are alerted depends on:
. . . . your speed, distance, and notoriety
. . . . whether you're facing each other
. . . . whether you're in a vehicle, and the vehicle's speed, damage, and wanted level
. . . . whether you're breaking traffic laws
. . . . whether you're near a dead or dying person
. . . . whether you're holding a weapon
. . . . whether you're walking into people, climbing, or jumping
. . . . whether you've been too close to the cop for too long
. . . . whether High Alert is active
. . . . whether the cop has seen, investigated, interrogated, and/or identified you before
. . . . how long the cop has investigated you
- They are alerted much faster if your notoriety is rated 3 stars or more.
- Alert meters will slowly drain, but only if the cop isn't investigating and can't see you.
- Alert indicators only show on the map for cops who are in your character's line of sight (360º).
- Alert indicators will flash:
. . . . White flash = alert level is higher than it's been before (bigger increase = more flashes)
. . . . Gray flash = draining
. . . . Blue flashes = fully alerted
- If you break a cop's line of sight while he's investigating, he'll run to your last known position, try to guess where you went, and then give up if he can't find you.
- If you're far away, the cop will jog for a while to close the distance.
- If a cop sees you run while he's investigating, he'll be alerted very fast. (Using my Weapon Weight mod, you can "hurry" to walk faster.)
- Cops in cars...
. . . . will try to follow you while investigating, if you're in a vehicle.
. . . . won't investigate until their indicators turn red, if you're on foot.
- As a workaround for cops who can't see far, cops in cars and/or investigating have "secondary vision".
- Secondary vision is 360º and its range depends on the cop's alert level.
- There's a chance, based on his alert level, that he'll see you in this field of view.
- A new crime is added to your warrant every time you escape after being identified (not including chases resumed during High Alert).
- Eventually, the notoriety from these crimes can add up, increasing your notoriety rating.
- Even 1-star crimes can add up to a 2-star notoriety rating, if you have a lot of them on your warrant.
- Notoriety escalates slowly at first (thirty 1-star crimes = one 2-star crime), but it gets much faster at higher levels (five 2-star crimes = one 3-star crime).
Recommended Related Mods
- Less Cops in Liberty City by lilmcnessy — Fewer police will spawn.
- Halt Traffic Behind by HazardX, modified by me — Makes NPCs stop behind your car instead of trying to drive around.
- Weapon Weight by me — Includes a "hurry" feature to walk/run/swim faster.
- Prison Break by HippieCommunist — Go to prison when arrested. Post bail or try to escape.
- Ticket.cs, in the Mod Pack by HippieCommunist — Pay a fine instead of being arrested when you have 1 star.
- Farnsworth's Business Mod by Prof_Farnsworth — Buy businesses and earn money for bribes.
- Your arrest warrant is only saved when you use a bed to save the game, not when the game autosaves.
- Your arrest warrant is persistent across different savegames. Workaround: manually create a different ArrestWarrant.dat file for each save.
- Patrolling cops usually only either ignore or shoot at NPC criminals. Workaround: disable PreventCopDeletion in the INI, or temporarily toggle the mod off until the NPC criminal gets chased away.
Unfixable GTA IV Bugs
- Most cops can't see very far.
- The game AI can see through many things it shouldn't, like low walls, dumpsters, vehicles, vegetation, and people.
- The game AI can't follow you through certain areas. Currently known to affect several alleys, one door, and one subway station staircase.
- Sometimes, the game gives you 1 star for stealing a vehicle when you only tried to open a locked door.
- Sometimes, the game thinks you committed a traffic crime when you didn't (e.g. it thinks a street is one-way when it's not).
- The game fades the indicators over cops when you're close to them.
- If you commit traffic crimes while moving very slowly, the police won't notice.
- Cops are really bad at tailing you in cars, often crashing or making pointless wrong turns.
- Stolen vehicles don't get reported if they're empty and unlocked when you get in (this is a workaround to prevent your saved cars from being reported).
- At the start of an interrogation, alert indicators stop flashing for a moment.
- During an interrogation, sometimes cops don't face you.
- Calling Kiki Jenkins or Francis McReary to remove your wanted level doesn't prevent the crime from being added to your warrant.
- Any cheats for removing your wanted level (including the Kiki/Francis ones) don't reset cop alert levels. Workaround: disable this mod before using the cheat.
Incompatibility with Other Mods
- Switching the player model with a trainer causes an error. Workaround: disable this mod before switching.
- This mod conflicts with Wanted, Wanted Vehicle, Weapon Arrest, and Drive Felony by BR_Goianiense.
- Ticket by HippieCommunist: Sometimes, cops will ticket you twice (or more) in a row.