This mod tweaks weapon attributes to make them behave more like they should, without overdoing it or altering the difficulty curve much. Significant changes include extended effective range for most weapons, and altered damage, rate of fire and magazine capacity for some others. The net result of all this is the weapons are more logical in terms of specs and capabilities, are more satisfying to use and - under the right circumstances - are more effective, both in the player's hands and in the hands of their opponents.
Using this mod with a gamepad control setup may result in unexpected results due to the different way aiming and targeting is handled, so I recommend using this mod only with a keyboard and mouse control setup.
Summary of changes
* The effective range of almost all of the weapons has been extended significantly. By default, effective range on pretty much anything but a sniper rifle drops off suddenly at a relatively short distance. This would, all too often, leave the player able to clearly see a target but not hit it. While before a bullet fired from an assault rifle could hardly cover the length of a city block before disappearing into thin air, assault rifles can now be used to target enemies out to a few hundred meters away.
* Magazine capacities of certain weapons have been changed to reflect their magazines' actual dimensions (the Pump Shotgun's magazine is too small to fit 8 shells, it now holds 4, likewise the Micro SMG which now holds 32 rounds instead of 50) and changes in caliber (the Pistol, despite appearing to be a 9mm Glock 17 at first glance, is actually a Glock 22 in .40 S&W, the stats have been updated to reflect this.).
* The damage of certain weapons has been increased, while the physics force of most weapons has been decreased (the only exceptions being the shotguns, their force has been increased slightly). Appropriately, given their calibers, the Assault Rifle (AK-47) is now more powerful than the Carbine Rifle (M4A1), though it is slightly less accurate.
* The accuracy of some weapons has been increased slightly, while others' accuracy has been reduced slightly. This is all very subtle, the biggest changes in this regard were made to the shotguns, and even those were only slight, to avoid creating issues with AI targeting.
* The rates of fire of some weapons has been adjusted. The Desert Eagle's rate of fire has been reduced to simulate Niko absorbing and compensating for the weapon's heavy recoil, while the rates of fire of the Micro SMG, SMG, AK-47 and M4A1 have been increased, with the M4A1 having the highest rate of fire. Previously, a bug caused the SMG's blindfire rate of fire to be noticeably slower than its normal rate of fire, this has been compensated for, so now the weapon fires at exactly (or almost exactly) the same speed however it's used.
* The shotguns have been changed significantly. Both the Pump Shotgun (the short one) and the Combat Shotgun now have slightly smaller capacities (4 and 8 respectively), but they are significantly more powerful, moderately more accurate and have extended range, particularly so in the Combat Shotgun's case. Pre-modding, I found the shotguns to be rather useless compared to SMGs and assault rifles, but now they're utterly deadly in close quarters and the combat shotgun eats cars for breakfast.
* The maximum ammo capacities of most weapons has been reduced to 10 magazines' worth or less (For example, the AK-47's maximum ammo capacity is 300). On the one hand, it's still unrealistic, but not it's as excessive as before. On the other hand, it forces you to resupply a bit more often, but you won't be running out of ammo all the time unless you waste it.
First, you must modify your copy of the game so it will accept modified files. For details on how to do this, see this topic on GTAForums.com: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397149
Next, extract the WeaponInfo.xml file to the following directory:
\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\
Make sure you back up the existing file in case you want to revert to it!
This mod is incomparable to any other weapon overhaul mod on the site! Its just perfect! Everything seems touch upon, but not so much that it becomes ruined.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for some extra immersion.
3x Fishbread to you, fine sir!
Good Luck, it would be so much easier for you if the timebetweenshots was a multiplier too. Instead, as you can see, it is just one big number. I would think that number is in milliseconds, like almost all of the values are...
Thanks man, that's exactly what I needed!
These are the values I'm testing now, firerate and blindfirerate, respectively:
Desert Eagle: 0.7, 0.9
MP10: 1.3, 1.8 (this is still a bit out of sync, working on it)
AK-47: 1.35, 1.35 (this works really nicely in-game)
M4A1: 1.5, 1.5 (as does this)
Of note: a weapon's rate of fire in AI use is determined by a different value entirely, timebetweenshots. I'll have to do quite a bit of testing to get the AI fire rates in line with the new player fire rates.
EDIT: Maybe it's a temporary thing, but the BBCode seems to be all screwed up at the moment. Good luck reading this wall of text, it's a mess!
Well, I don't actually have GTA IV yet , but i have downloaded the original WeaponInfo.xml. About your Rate of Fire problem, i found under the assets section there is a fire rate and a blind fire rate. Here is the AK-47's example(without carrots):
rates firerate="1.2" blindfirerate="1.2"
My theory is that if you increase it, you will have a faster rate of fire. Hope this helps!
EDIT: I see your problem. When i downloaded your WeaponInfo.xml, you don't have the rate of fire section. Underneath the AK-47's anim group= line add the line above (in carrots of course).
EFLC extension in progress I'm working on an extension to this mod for "Episodes From Liberty City". It will apply the same changes to the original set of weapons and alter the new weapons in a variety of ways.
Plans for the new weapons:
* Reduce the accuracy of certain weapons, such as the Automatic Pistol.
* Tighten the sawn-off shotgun's groups a bit.
* Alter the rate of fire of some weapons, especially the AA-12 which fires way too slowly.
* Reduce the fuse time on the Grenade Launcher's grenades.
* Change wielding animations for the Uzi and M249 so Luis fires them from the shoulder.